MICHIGAN STATE ALPHA PHI, BETA BETA CHAPTER
Michigan State University is located in East Lansing, just three miles east of Michigan’s capitol in Lansing across a 5,200-acre campus, making MSU the largest Big 10 school. With over 50,000 students, across more than 200 academic programs, having a home in Alpha Phi makes this campus community feel much more connected. MSU is a top global university, pushing the boundaries of discovery to make a better world while providing students with life-changing opportunities in academics and more than 900 student clubs and organizations, like Alpha Phi. We are proud and honored to represent Michigan State University--Go Green! Go White!
Alpha Phi Fraternity is an international organization with 174 chapters and more than 200,000 members. Sisters share a commitment to excellence and a strong desire to support one another and their communities. Alpha Phis are leaders, scholars, contributors and lifetime members of a sisterhood that values these traits.
HISTORY OF BETA BETA
Written in 1922, upon installation: The Michigan Agricultural College, now known as Michigan State University, was founded in 1857 as the first agriculture college in America and from the first it admitted women students. Course in home economics, engineering, veterinary medicine, agriculture, and applied science were offered. The average enrollment was fifteen to seventeen hundred students.
The Feronian Literacy Society, now the Beta Beta Chapter of Alpha Phi, was founded in March 1891. It was the first woman’s society to be established at the Michigan Agriculture College. Dr. Howard Edwards, a member of the college faculty, suggested the name Feronian in honor of the goddess Feronia. From the beginning the women took an active interested in the scholastic movements of the campus, often taking honors and intersociety and state debates. Literary programs were built around civic improvements for Lansing, new courses for the women of the college and work that would make the society members better Feronians. When the Women’s Building was erected in 1900, the college gave the two oldest societies- the Feronian and the Thermian- rooms in the basement of the building, which were attractively furnished by the girls.
The principal work of the group was the build up a strong membership. The idea of allegiance was the cornerstone in the foundation of the society life of the Feronian member. Other building stones were typified by campus activities, scholarship, class organizations, and growth in comparison with that of other women’s societies. From the first, the Feronian members have held first place in campus activities and have always followed up any project they have started. The college year book, the “Wolverine,” gives the lists of activities of every college woman. Feronian ranks first from that record.
The Beta Beta Chapter of Alpha Phi was installed on February 17, 1922, by the Theta Chapter (University of Michigan), its big sister, and representatives of the National Board. It was an impressive and inspiring occasion, never to be forgotten by those present.
Written today in 2020: As the original women’s organization on campus, we take pride in continuing to empower and give women on campus a space to be themselves and seek support. Michigan State University now is a 5,200-acre campus, making MSU the largest Big 10 school. With 39,000 undergraduate students, across more than 200 academic programs, having a home in Alpha Phi makes this campus community feel much more connected. MSU is a top global university pushing the boundaries of discovery to make a better world while providing students with life-changing opportunities in academics and more than 900 student clubs and organizations, like Alpha Phi. With our 170 members, we still value the high ideals in which we were founded upon: generosity, character, innovation and sisterhood. We are proud and honored to represent Michigan State University--Go Green! Go White!